Translate

Saturday 5 May 2012

Aikido - My Experience So Far

The Beginning

   I first became interested in Aikido at the age of 16, when my younger brother came home from the newly opened Wetherby Aikido Club. He showed me 5 techniques of the basic Kata and straight away I was interested. I turned up at the next training session to find familiar faces from my primary school and a friend of my dads teaching along with the Sensei of the club. Due to the club being new, they had only established a junior session and had to be taught one on one by my dads friend Jimmy.
   I trained with Jimmy for 2 months before the Senior club was started, this one on one training caused me to make great progress. Eventually after training for a few months Jimmy had suggested I take a grading to get my first belt, and he suggested I graded at his Sensei's Club in Garforth.

 

The Progression

   My first grading was a success and I passed with flying colours, attaining my yellow belt (5th kyu) skipping white belt (6th kyu). After the grading I was introduced to the Clubs Sensei's, Rob and Sutty. After talking for a while, Jimmy suggested to me that I become part of Garforth Aikido Club, due to the higher standard of teaching I would receive there.
   I found that Garforth had much to offer because of the regular attending students and the 2 Sensei's who both taught slightly different ways of performing a technique, allowing the student to choose the best option for them.
   For the past 4 years I have been training as part of the Garforth Club and have reached 2nd Kyu. I have entered into national competitions and one international competition. I think its safe to say that getting involved in Martial Arts is one of the best decisions I have made in the last 20 Years.

 

The Community

   After training under the same teachers and with the same students for 4 years we have developed a community with teachers, students and parents. Every training session is Aikido focused, however we all like to have a laugh and make the environment as friendly as possible. we often have students visit our club from other parts of Leeds and Bradford because of the environment we create.
   The martial Arts Community at large is very much the same from what I experienced at the international competition I entered into. people from many different countries came together to celebrate the study of Martial Arts. Every competitor I met was very friendly, even when we didn't speak the same language.

 

Have A Go

   If there is a Martial Arts Club near you do not be put off by the fear of judgement, lack of confidence or the inability to step outside of your comfort zone, Martial Arts will better you in every way, overcome fear, boost confidence and allowing you to become comfortable with many everyday situations, just have a go, it will benefit you, I promise

No comments:

Post a Comment