Translate

Sunday 6 May 2012

Advanced Encouragement

   At my club recently we have developed the term advanced encouragement, meaning the use of pain as a tool to encourage a person to move where you are wanting them to, whether that's on to the floor or to get someone who has the advantage, whilst fighting on the floor, to get off or give up his position. In the past when I have been on the floor with my opponent on top of me ready to beat down or holding me in a submission, I have used Advanced Encouragement to get out of the tough situation. In that situation i have used both Kyoei (pressure point between the 5th and 6th ribs below the arm pit) and Denko (pressure point below Kyoei between the 7th and 8th ribs) to cause pain to my opponent and making him roll over. My opponent has also used pressure point to get himself out of one of my favourite judo holds, Makura-Kesa-Gatame and decided to use the dokko pressure point (located just behind the ear lobe) to cause me extreme pain and loosen my grip.
Pressure points should be studied and practised in training, learn where they are and the best technique to apply them.

   The favourite Advanced Encouragement Technique of my club has to be the Kote Gaeshi (wrist Reverse) wrist lock. this Technique can be applied in may ways. In Aikido we roll the wrist over at the same time as we apply the lock so our opponent can flip out safely causing no harm to the wrist during training. When we train for self defence we do not roll the wrist at all, we crush the knuckles straight down towards the underside of the wrist causing extreme pain. In Aikido we often use this technique to loosen the grip of the opponents if they are holding a Tanto (knife).

   Thai Boxers out there, don't think that this cannot be applied to you because it is grapple based. I imagine it could be applied whilst in the clinch. Pressure points in the neck such as the Matsukaze (located on the neck 3 inches directly below the earl lobe)would work to loosen the opponent up whilst struggling for power in the clinch, squeezing inwards on this point with the blade of your hand would cause discomfort breaking concentration for a second, allowing you to gain control. I understand this probably would not work whilst wearing gloves, this should still be trained for self defence situations you come across.

   Whatever you study pressure points should not be neglected. go study pressure points in the areas of the body that you would normally target and learn how to use them. They are a great tool when used correctly.


Pictures to come soon.......

No comments:

Post a Comment